Wednesday 10 October 2007

A Paradise called Malta

Malta, is such a wonderful country, never do I wish to bathe on any other beaches in the world than those on the Maltese coast. Mellieha Bay has to be my favourite, Though even bathing on the paved path along the Marsacala promenade is paradise. It is such a pleasant feeling knowing that my family are from such a beautiful, place.So here the beginnings of my love for Malta.My Nan and grandad were born and bred in Malta they lived in Zabbar, Nanna was born in 1942 and Nunnu born in 1939. My Nanna Grace was just 12 when she met Victor, they moved to England in 1957 to start a new life, Im not sure why, but Nunnus coming over tonight so I will ask him a few questions about his life in Malta and update you all tomorrow. They have lived in England since then and regularly visited Malta, all my Mums extended family live in Malta, from Zabbar to the other end of the island Mellieha. Mum was born here but spent most of her life to and from Malta with her her Mum and Dad. Staying with her nan in her big house in Zabbar with a beautiful balcony that was fantastic to watch the yearly feast from.

The family visit Malta regulalrly Mum would never go to Spain or Portugal, or anywhere else for that matter, she says " It wont be the same as Malta" and I totally agree with her.Dad, being an Englishman agrees to. He has no choice. When we go to Malta we spend between 2-4 weeks there theres always plenty to do, we usually stay in appartments in Marsacala, and when mum visits Zabbar, she relives the memories of her childhood, every year we hear the same stories, it makes mum so happy when shes in Malta.A typical day in Malta for us would be getting up, getting our beach bags, Patizzis on the way, pea ones are my favourites, or maybe I will have a slice of pizza with the olives on it. Mmmmm......... anyways then onto the beach depending on the mood we would travel to the other end of the island and go to Mallieha bay, Armer, Golden bay or Paradise bay. all are equally beautiful. We would enjoy big ice-creams and ħobz biż-żejt (Mallieha Bay) hotdogs (Armer) and of course the waters and the hot sun. In the evening we would go for a meal, my favourite restuarant is Ximos in Marsacala its wonderful food in a tiny restaurant that hosts around 12 people at a time, it serves beautiful fresh lampuki and a range of pastas.

In July this year I came with my Partner, he is now like me and won't visit any other country in the summer. The weather was wonderful this year, we stayed in the Seabank in Mellieha, this is the first time I have ever stayed in a hotel in Malta,as I mentioned before we usually stay in appartments and as I could not rent a car, I stayed in Mellieha,simply because of the beach!. This holiday gave me the opportunity to explore Malta on my own without being in and out of the car, I got to find my way around by bus and was so impressed with some of the newer buses in Malta, the contrast between the new and old was so noticeable, however those old buses are part of the Maltese culture and history and it would be a shame to replace all of the them, it is now so noticeable in Malta just how much its moving on and modernising, all the roads and road signs are all very much like Britain now. However, thats not always a good thing.

Thats what I really love about Malta, its unique its not like Spain swamping with loud, drunken English people (not that theres a problem with that) , its not like Britain busy and overwhelming. Its calm, relaxed and clean. It is paradise, theres no real worry about being on the streets at night, no real fear of being hurt or attacked or like in England you can be murdered for looking the wrong way. The Maltese can go out and enjoy thier lives without the concerns that people living in England have, though England is a beautiful place to visit, the shops we have are out of this world, the number of restuarants are uncountable and the wide range of cultures is growing, the continuing problems for people who live here in England are growing. We do not have the peice of mind we once had. The Maltese, I believe do.

No comments: